You are here
Once you become an Associate Member of CPHR Alberta, you’re eligible to write the National Knowledge Exam (NKE). Passing the NKE is the first step to achieving the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) Designation.
Please be aware of the upcoming changes to the NKE in Fall 2019. Read More.
What is the National Knowledge Exam (NKE)?
- The NKE assesses your understanding of the CPHR Competency Framework, which outlines 9 discipline-specific functional dimensions that CPHRs must comprehend.
- The NKE is comprised of 150 multiple choice questions, and you’re given 3 hours and 15 minutes to write it.
I Want to Write the NKE
- First, you need to be an Associate Member of CPHR Alberta. Your application has to be submitted four weeks prior to the exam registration deadline. We ask for your application for Associate Membership four weeks prior to the NKE registration deadline to ensure the CPHR Alberta team has ample time to review your application. Learn more about becoming an Associate Member, or, contact us.
- If you’re applying for Associate Membership with CPHR Alberta and you have a degree, make sure your transcripts or IQAS assessment has been received by our team prior to the NKE registration deadline as well.
Did You Graduate from a CPHR Canada Accredited Program?
- Associate Members who graduated from a CPHR Canada accredited post-secondary education program can apply to waive the NKE. Fill out a waiver form and submit it through your member profile by clicking on the "Submit NKE Waiver Application" link. Learn more about CPHR Alberta's CPHR Accreditation Program here.
When Does the NKE Happen?
The next dates and registration deadlines for the NKE are:
To register for the NKE:
- Login to your Member Profile
- Select 'Register for the National Knowledge Exam (NKE)'
- Follow prompts to register for NKE
Where Can I Write the NKE?
The NKE is held in most major cities in Alberta:
- Red Deer
- Grande Prairie
- Medicine Hat
- Fort McMurray
How Much Does the NKE Cost?
- National Knowledge Exam ® Fee - $525
- Examination Deferral Fee - $200
- National Knowledge Exam Waiver Fee - $375
These prices are subject to 5% GST
How Can I Prepare for the NKE?
The goal of preparation courses is to equip NKE writers with the theoretical knowledge and test-taking strategies needed to effectively write the National Knowledge Exam®.
The following resources are available to assist you with preparing for the NKE:
What Happens After I Write the NKE?
- You find out if you passed the NKE within 8 weeks of writing. If you passed you become a CPHR Candidate! Your next step is to complete the Experience Validation Assessment – the proof that you also have practical human resources experience.
- You can write the NKE up to 4 times. If you aren’t successful with the NKE the first 3 times, you’re required to take a one-year break until you write it again for the final time.
More Information on the NKE
- CPHR Canada Information on the NKE
- Review CPHR Alberta's exam policy for information on deferrals, cancellations and limited attempts
- NKE FAQs
Contact: Alicia Djan-Draper, Professional Standards Lead
1.800.668.6125 ext. 108 | firstname.lastname@example.org