You are here
Understanding Depression and Suicide - Speaker Series - Grande Prairie
*Attending this event counts as 1 CPD hours - please save the confirmation of attendance email for your CPD log.
*Please review our Cancellation Policy before registering
About the Event
The presenter will share her experiences with mental illness and suicide loss that provided her with a passion for learning about and sharing information on these topics. For over 17 years she has been driven to prevent suicide and to lift stigma around mental illness and does this by creating and perpetuating a conversation about mental illness, about managing overall wellness, and by applying healthy living concepts to her own life. Providing basic information about depression and related mental illnesses, this presentation will help the participant understand how mental illness, loss and stress relate to suicide. We will touch on different types of depression, and cover signs and symptoms of depression, treatments, and some warning signs of suicidal ideation. Learn how to respond as a concerned individual or helper to someone experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts, and know where local and internet resources are. Handouts will be provided including resources, a simple plan for life, and a simple crisis intervention model. We will discuss life style choices that promote and manage mental health/treat depression and have a discussion on the importance of the habitual application of self-care.
- To gain a better understanding of depression, related mental illness and their relationship to suicide.
- To understand major contributing factors, and recognise warning signs for suicide
- To learn what to say and do as a helper
- To gain a better understanding of available helping resources and where to access them
- To be reminded/learn how to manage mental health and the importance of applying that knowledge to daily living for overall wellbeing and survival.
About the Speaker
Faris Jean Atkinson
An experienced First Aid/EMR Instructor, former EMT, and former RN, Faris Jean Atkinson currently promotes mental health as a Program Coordinator for the Suicide Prevention Resource Centre. Faris is also a published author, public speaker, and funeral celebrant, speaking to over 2500 people annually in the local region alone.
- 7:30 am to 8:00 am Registration
- 8:00 am to 9:00 am Presentation & Interactive Discussion
- 9:00 am to 9:30 am Q/A & Casual Networking
Connect with HR professionals who are leaders and influencers within their companies. Advertise today.
- opportunities to reach our 6,000 members.
- Province-wide and regional events
- regular publications and industry-specific surveys
Become a Member
Join a community of 6,000 human resources practitioners and business professionals across Alberta. Members have access to:
- CPHR Alberta Job Source - new human resources jobs posted daily
- Resources - EVA and NKE completion tips and workshops, HR Alberta Trends Reports
- Professional Development opportunities