You are here
What is the Experience Validation Assessment?
The Experience Validation Assessment (EVA) is the final step you take to achieving your CPHR Designation. The EVA is an application that asks human resources professionals to demonstrate their experience in human resources. CPHR candidates who've completed a Bachelor degree have to demonstrate 3 years of experience. CPHR candidates who haven’t completed a Bachelor degree have to demonstrate 8 years. Learn more about this here.
This final step of the process ensures that human resources professionals who achieve the CPHR Designation have the knowledge and skills required to practice human resources competently and ethically.
Can I Apply for the EVA?
If you've passed the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) in the last 10 years, you qualify to submit an EVA.
What are the Criteria to Pass the EVA?
Here is an outline of the criteria required to be successful with your EVA and achieve the CPHR Designation. For a more detailed explanation, please refer to the Registration Manual.
- If the CPHR Candidate has submitted proof of a degree: a minimum of 3 years of professional level experience in human resources obtained within the past 10 years
- If the CPHR Candidate does not have a degree: a minimum of 8 years of professional level experience in human resources obtained within the past 10 years;
- A minimum proficiency in 2 of the nine (9) functional dimensions OR complete proficiency in one 1 out of nine (9) functional dimensions as outlined in the CPHR Competency Framework;
- A minimum proficiency in 20% or nine (9) of the 44 competencies; and
- Qualify in 3 out of 5 of the enabling competencies
How Do I Submit my EVA Application?
- Login to your CPHR Alberta Profile and upload your completed EVA Form through the “submit EVA & Apply for CPHR” link. You’ll also need to attach your resume and include formal job descriptions for all roles included in your application.
- You can also upload any additional supporting documentation through the formal job description upload and can include:
- Organization charts illustrating your role
- Letters of clarification. Letters of clarification are written and signed by your supervisor/manager to clarify or highlight any additional responsibilities or special projects you completed in your role with them. Please review section 7 of the Registration Manual for clarification on professional level experience.
When Can I Submit my EVA Application?
CPHR Alberta's Registration Committee reviews EVA applications three times per year. The deadlines are:
- January 31
- May 31
- September 30
Does it Cost Money to Submit an EVA Application?
For CPHR Candidates to submit their EVA there is a $200, non-refundable fee when you send your documents in. If your EVA is approved, you will be charged an additional $350.
Resources for Completing your EVA
- Registration Manual
- EVA FAQs
- Video tutorial on how to fill out an EVA Application
- Competency Framework Guide - use this for completing the competency examples portion of your EVA
- Explanation of 'professional level HR experience'